My Bucket List

I started this list in the year 2003 with the intention of finding things to look forward to in my life. I had just gone through a lot of big changes - falling in love with someone who couldn't return it, changing my major (which was a HUGE deal for me) and facing my childhood sexual abuse head on. I was in a depression and was struggling to find my grounding again. My Reslife Supervisor, Lissa, told me about a woman who made a list of 100 things to do before she died and encouraged me to do the same.

So, here it is. My list, my past, my present, my future. My only rule is to complete at least one a year and to complete any that are made available to me financially. Here is my written account of these accomplishments.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

68. Get my nose pierced

It wasn't until my second year of college that I really considered getting my nose pierced. I thought I might get my tongue or lip pierced first, but I kept watching friends appear with nose rings and the more I looked at my own nose, the more I realized that a nose ring would look really cute on me!

So, a few weeks after my sophomore year ended, my friends Brandon Ring and Kevin drove me over to Blue Byrd Tattoo to get it done. I picked out a light blue stone and the piercer brought me up to the chair. I wasn't too nervous until he pulled out the big needle to push through my selected nostril. He pushed it through while my friends squealed in disgust like the queens they were. My piercer tried to insert the nose screw into the hole, but it wouldn't go through - it wasn't stretched out enough (the screw), so he had to go downstairs and stretch it out in order for it to go through my abnormally thick nostril. So, I sat there with a paper towel on my empty hole and waited for him to come back and re-pierce the hole and successfully insert the screw! It was pretty painful, but still manageable. The boys were grossed out, but I was ecstatic!

About a week later it fell out while I was sleeping and I had to go get a new one put in. Luckily it didn't have to be re-pierced again! All my friend loved it right away, but it took my parents some time to get used to it. I wear a hoop in it consistently now, but I still like to accessorize with it. Getting my nose pierced still feels like one of the best decisions I made in my college career. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment